Sunday, September 17, 2017

Heard on the grapevine




Something we need to talk about.  Right now.  And the topic is:  The absurdity of some of today's common expressions that have found parallel lives as titles for paintings in the "Flash Mob" series.

Consider this one that always sets my teeth on edge:  "That's a conversation that we need to have."

Think about it.  This pretentious statement is so different from the ordinary, "Yeah, let's talk about it."  Even if this traditional phrase suggests a future time-frame, it also indicates an invitation, a commitment, an active process of two (or more) people talking!!  But "a conversation that we need to have"?   This seems to suggest something floating in the ether -- a cloud passing by -- something optional perhaps, even if "needed," and certainly not anything that anyone in listening distance has any responsibility for scheduling.

Think about the possible meanings this expression conveys when Person B uses it to respond to a point made by Person A.

"I was hoping you wouldn't bring this up, and I'll need time to cook up an answer."
 


"I'm utterly bored by this, and I'm not going to waste any more time on it."


 "I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about,  but later I'll figure it out."


"Maybe you'll forget that you ever brought this up, and I'll just stay in denial."


"Oh, I don't think so.  I will be the one to decide when we get around to talking about this."



 Put 'em all together, and what's it spell?  "A Conversation That We Need to Have" -- #9 in the Flash Mob series.   (View the unfolding sequence here)




1 comment: